The historical Municipality of Phyle lies on the southwestern slopes of Mount Parnes and is surrounded by mountains. Although it is located at a short distance from Athens, it is somehow isolated from the large city, thus making it appear as a remote village in the countryside. Phyle has been attracting many visitors lately. The municipality has a rather limited population; according to the 2001 census, it features a population of only 3,055 inhabitants.
Ano Liosia stretches over 38,050,000 m2, in the northwesten section of the Attica basin, about 14 km to the northwest of Athens. Just after the Greek Revolt, Ano Liosia was a small village of 180 residents, all Arvanites. In 1905, although featuring no more than 750 villagers, Ano Liosia was endowed with a well-designed street plan. In 1912, the settlement was upgraded to a community. Until late 1920s, the development of the Ano Liosia community was minimal. From that time until the mid-1950s, a steady population growth was observed. After the end of World War II, Ano Liosia received large numbers of internal low-income migrants. Thus, the number of its inhabitants rose to 1,160 and 11,338 in 1950 and 1974 respectively. During the 1960s and 1970s, groups of Gypsies and repatriated Pontians settled at Ano Liosia. In 1971, the settlement was promoted to a municipality with a population of 11,388 residents, which grew to 25,779 in 2001.
Zephyri occupies an area of approximately 1,500,000 m2. Its original name was “Zofria” (Zoon frear=animal shaft). As the population of Zofria increased significantly during the early 1960s, the settlement was divided to Ano (=Upper) and Kato (=Lower) Zofria. Kato Zofria became a community in 1967 and was renamed “Zephyri” after the Metapolitefsi (1974). Until 1967, the population was limited, while there was no electricity and water supply; telecommunications were non-existent with the exception of a single telephone for common use. In 1971, Zephyri had a population of 2,572 members, which increased to 5,260 ten years later. Population growth, in combination with the area’s great archaeological and historical interest, led to the recognition of the community as a municipality in early 1991. According to the latest statistics from the 2001 census, the population of Zephyri includes 9,985 residents. It is characterised by the presence of many minorities, such as Gypsies, who constitute 20% of the total population. There is also a small number of repatriated Pontians, as well as Albanians, Pakistanis, and Indians.