Municipality of Aspropyrgos. The Municipality of Aspropyrgos is located about 20 km to the northwest of Athens. It occupies a relatively long and narrow area stretching from the southwestern slopes of Mount Parnes to the Eleusinian gulf. Initially, Aspropyrgos was a small village named “Kalyvia”, which was administered by Chasia. Shortly before the end of the 19th century (1899), the settlement was renamed “Aspropyrgos” and in 1915 it was recognised as a community. During the first decades of the 20th century, agriculture constituted the main occupation of the Aspropyrgians. Gradually, while agricultural development was occurring, the first industries appeared. Industrialisation was a long process which was initiated during the 1930s with the establishment of “Chalyps Cements”and the dairy cooperative “ASPRO”. In 1949, the Community of Aspropyrgos was promoted to a municipality. After the war, large industrial units were established, such as the “Greek Refineries of Aspropyrgos” (1956), “Chalyvourgiki” (1960), and “Petrogaz” (1960). Aspropyrgos is now an expanding town with a population that grows in parallel with industrial activity in the region. In“ the dense pine forests that covered the area until the German Occupation period. Today, the main occupations of the inhabitants include tourism, agriculture, animal husbandry, beekeeping, fishery, and gum resin collection.